March winds blow, telling us that Spring is on the way!
Warming breezes scour the last of winter from house and garden. Spring rain awakens the earth and calls forth new life.
Meet the rising sap with a new broom. Spring clean indoors and out to prepare home and hearth for the return of warm weather.
Our Spring cleaning chore checklist will help you take care of important seasonal chores and welcome Spring to an organized home.
Around The House:
- Schedule a family garage clean-out. Create efficient storage for sporting goods, camping equipment, recreational vehicles, and garden tools. You'll have the jump on summer fun!
- Inspect, clean and repair outdoor furniture.
- Tour house exterior and grounds. Make a list of any needed seasonal maintenance.
- Inspect the roof for winter damage: leaks, missing or broken shingles or tiles. Arrange for any needed repairs early; roofing contractors can be hard to find during summer's construction season.
- Use a sunny Saturday to scrape, prime and paint peeling spots on trim or woodwork. You'll protect wood against Summer's heat and moisture--and prevent a more difficult paint job come fall.
- Clear away any remaining dead foliage and weeds from beds and lawn. New growth will be protected from damage or disease.
- Begin major Spring landscaping projects. Spring's the time to put in shrubs and trees, but check with your local extension office for specific planting recommendations for your area.
The Inside Story:
- Changing seasons, changing clothes. Hold a family wardrobe check as you bring out warm-weather clothing. Sort winter clothing for discards and donations before you store.
- Hold a garage sale! Declutter house and garage to turn trash into cash. Build your yard sale savvy here.
- Pick a weekend and enlist the family for Spring cleaning. Many hands make light work! Reward the team with dinner at a pizza parlor.
- Wash windows inside and out.
- While at the window area, check drapes and window treatments. Vacuum any dust; send dirtier drapes to the cleaners.
- Move furniture and vacuum beneath it.
- Arrange for a spring inspection of cooling systems. Don't wait for the first hot day! Air conditioning firms will give better service when they're not busy.
- When the weather warms, deactivate heat system humidifiers. Check the system manual for instructions on how to power down for the summer.
- Drain sediment from hot water heaters.